Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Fun with names addendum: Freelove (Freeway)

Let's just get this out of the way at the start - this post is not about genealogy.

Ok, anyone who's a fan of the U.K. series The Office will know where I'm going with this. As I mentioned in my last post, Freelove was a somewhat popular name for baby girls in 17th & 18th century Hempstead on Long Island. If only those poor, Puritanical settlers only knew how prescient and ahead of the times they were giving their daughters such a hippie name (I mean, really, Freelove? That girl's going to grow up to be a flower child, whether its the 1760s or the 1960s...)

Anyway, besides the nice ring the name has to it, I couldn't figure out why I was so drawn to it, until I caught myself humming a little ditty over the last day or so. Couldn't get it out of my head. Realized I had stuck in my head an original piece by David Brent, the alter ego of Ricky Gervais from The Office. The song is hilarious within the context of the episode that featured it, but even without that context, it's just catchy. And so I won't be the only loony tune walking around singin' this thing, and because now besides always making me laugh this song will always make me think of genealogy (oh, word association!), I thought I'd share. There's some talking at the beginning - I would skip to about the one minute mark. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment