Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday: Rodney Dangerfield

Tombstone Tuesday always makes me think of my dad because a love of cemeteries and headstones is something we share. He said his dad also liked them, so that's right there is three generations of weirdos. I joke, but I really did not realize how strange my fascination with cemeteries was to other people until recently, because I could talk about them with my dad like it was normal. We'd even go on cemetery field trips together. Anyway, now Tombstone Tuesday always makes him think of me and he'll send me photos of some of his favorite headstones, some of them belonging to relatives, some of them not. Here's this week's offering: comedian Rodney Dangerfield, who died in 2004 and is buried in Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery in Los Angeles. The inscription under his name always makes me laugh.

Most cemeteries could use a little humor. :)


2 comments:

  1. When my dad (your grandfather)would visit my mom's (your grandmother's)grave, which they share now, he wouldn't just go, bring some flowers, say a prayer and leave. Not YOUR grandfather. He would bring a folding chair, a garden hose and a sprinkler. He would go to the water faucet, attach a "Y" connector (so he could connect his hose and others still had access to water), run his hose from the faucet over to mom's grave, connect the sprinkler, and water the lawn and plants. Next he would set up his folding chair and sit and read the newspaper (or 2). Eventually, he would say a prayer, disconnect everything, pack up the car and leave. He did this weekly until he could no longer drive. After he passed away, I found all his cemetery stuff, still in the trunk of his car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always like hearing that story!

    ReplyDelete