Liebster is a German word that means friend, dearest, adored, beloved, chosen one. The Liebster Award is given to bloggers who have fewer than 200 followers, to encourage them to keep at it and to help spread the word about interesting blogs to a new audience.
The rules for the award vary, but I'm going to follow Heather's suggestions:
- Thank the one who nominated you by linking back.
- List 11 random facts about yourself/your blog (if you want - it was much harder than I thought it would be to come up with 11!)
- Nominate five blogs with fewer than 200 followers.
- Let the nominees know by leaving a comment on their sites.
- Add the award image to your site (optional).
So, 11 random facts about me/my blog:
1. I am also the author of two other blogs: one about television and a sports blog for girls.
2. I am OCD, probably most evident in that I HAVE to eat Skittles in a particular order and the television volume has to be on an even number. I know. It's weird.
3. I am the oldest child of an oldest child (my dad) of an oldest child (my grandfather).
4. I wish I had gone to school for history (a degree as useless as the one I actually have) but if I was independently wealthy, I would still consider going back to school for history. Besides finding it interesting in and of itself, the more familiar you are with history in general, the better you'll be at your own family history!
5. I wrote my college senior thesis on an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. That's right. AND I got an A :)
6. Besides my grandmother's influence, my interest in genealogy was piqued by the insert in a Freeport restaurant menu on the history of Freeport.
7. Out of the six people in my immediate family, I am the only one who does not have 17 letters in their name - boo :( LOL
8. Keeping this blog has made me learn so much about my family that I'm so proud of that I can't wait to pass on to my daughter. (Unlike my siblings, she'll be a captive audience for at least the first few years!)
9. I once went to the movies 60 times in one year.
10. I used to really identify with my Irish ancestry but the more I've learned about my German ancestry, the more I identify with that.
11. I once passed Will Ferrell in a stairwell - he was really tall!
So, these are five bloggers I like to follow - even though they're not all genealogy-related, they're all well written and interesting and I hope my nominating them for this award helps encourage them to keep chugging along, too!
1. Skipping Down Memory Lane
2. Brown-Eyed Blessings
4. Digging Up the Dirt on My Dead People
5. Running the Race
When you get a chance, definitely check out Heather's blog (linked back at the top of this post) as well as my five nominees! Whether you're a blog reader, writer, or both, we have to support and encourage each other!