Friday, January 28, 2011

John and Bridget (Collins) Enright, New York Census 1905

John and Bridget, my third great grandparents on my mother's side, have also been particularly elusive and spook-like in my genealogical forays. I've visited their grave and I have Bridget's death certificate, but other than that, their bios are very sparse, indeed.

As I had luck finding the Gorrys and John Horgan in the 1905 New York census, I decided to continue my search there for others on my tree, and turned up a John and Bridget Enwright (gotta love all these names with so many spellings - makes searches so much fun! How did anyone ever find anything before online soundex searches were an option??) John, 80, was born in Ireland and was an alien and had been living in the U.S. for 5 years. Bridget, 72, was also an Irish alien but had been living in the U.S. for 15 years. They were living at 377 Warren Street in Brooklyn, and being the cross-checker I am, a quick look at my Bridget's death certificate confirmed that she did in fact die at the address 377 Warren Street, so these two Bridgets were one and the same. It's the decrepencies in when John and Bridget arrived that interest me - if those timelines are accurate - and we can't assume they are, but if they are - that means that John might have not yet arrived when the 1900 U.S. census was taken, so that if I were looking for Bridget in it, she would not be living with a John. Previously, I had been looking for those two names together.

Time to widen that net, I guess!

No comments:

Post a Comment