Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday - Poole Family of Long Island


This is one of the Poole family plots in Rockville Cemetery in Lynbrook, Long Island, New York. I took these photos July 16, 2009. The Pooles lived in that area - Lynbrook, Rockville Centre, Oceanside, and in this photo, we have the Poole headstone as well as the smaller markers for Mary A. (Story) Poole and Richard W. Poole, my third great-grandparents. Mary's marker says she lived from 1827-1902 and Richard's says he lived from 1820-1886. From newspaper articles I've read, Richard apparently amassed a sizable fortune in both farming and real estate, which his son, also Richard William, inherited upon Richard Sr.'s death. Richard Sr. and Mary's daughter Annie, was my great great grandmother, and was married to Joseph James "J.J." Raynor. Richard and Mary also had two other sons - Charles and Stanley (Stanley would go on to be a family name amongst Annie Poole Raynor's descendants) - and a daughter, Sarah. Sarah died very young and Stanley never married, and they are both buried in this plot as well.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! I hope to see some of my ancestors graves this weekend when I attend a family reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Amber! Yeah, I've been lucky in that I live in the same area most of my ancestors did so it's super easy for me to visit their graves, like say on my lunch break! Enjoy your reunion, and hope you make it to the cemetery! :)

    ReplyDelete